This popular activity is done in Gansbaai, roughly 3 hours drive from Cape Town which hosts the most Great White Shark population per square km than anywhere else on earth! This activity can be booked as a self-drive option, or transportation can be arranged at an additional cost.
Confirmation of collection time is only given the day before due to tidal changes, weather, currents etc. Thus, it is important that you give us your contact details (email, contact number, place of stay in Cape Town) in order for us the get in contact with you to confirm arrangements.
We make use of a securely structured, galvanized, 5-man steel cage. It is operated with a winch from a sturdy gantry, ensuring effective cage retrieval. Our surface cage is constructed of re-enforced mild steel and built in accordance with specifications provided by coded welders and registered engineers. It has a convenient port hole for easy photography, as well as a 300mm free-board above the surface, allowing divers to effectively communicate with the Dive Master on the boat.
We make use of the hookah system in the cage, meaning that the diving cylinders remain on the boat, since we have 5mm air hoses running into the cage. Cage dimensions are; 2.3m high, 3.0m in length and 1.0m in width. The cage has been carefully designed for the safety of the diver/s as well as the animal. You will therefore find no sharp edges around the cage, ensuring that the sharks are not harmed in any way. Our cage is replaced annually and is inspected by authorities on a regular basis.
- Hot tea / coffee and light continental breakfast upon our arrival
- A hot light lunch is served upon our return (beef lasagne, rolls and Greek salad)
- Complimentary beer and wine to accompany your lunch
- A fast, yet safe 20 minute boat ride to Dyer Island
- Snacks, drinks and sweets on-board the boat
- Educational information and safety briefing
- Diving equipment and wet-suits available at no additional cost
- Assisted snorkelling in cage for inexperienced divers
- Spectacular surface viewing for non-divers (shark activity allowing)
- Enjoy land-based whale watching in Hermanus (July – Dec)